718 Cyclery was created in 2008, and continues to be focused on building bikes WITH our customers. Road, mountain, touring, commuter.....if you have dreamed it up, we can build it with you. Our shop is a place of learning, where arrogance and attitude have no place (Shop Philosophy)
"You Can't Hammer a Nail Over the Internet"
Has your dad ever told you about the times he took apart the toaster or the family radio as a kid? In terms of consumer products, those days are long gone. If you even think about opening your I-Phone, you will void the warrantee. Most products carry a warning about “no serviceable parts inside”, or are protected by fasteners that require security clearance and an expensive tool to loosen. Products are made so that replacement is far easier than repair. We just throw them away. The cool thing about bikes is that "all parts are serviceable".
As we all move towards becoming information workers, (folks who work at nice large firms, sit in front of a monitor or 2, and produce nothing you can touch), the desire to work with ones hands becomes magnified. It took me 13 years in front of that aforementioned monitor before I realized I needed to build with my hands again.
A Collaborative Build is us building a bike with you.
Using free and easy to use digital tools, you will be dropped into our shop on the fly, discussing your project with us in face-to-face real time during your Initial Consultation.
We will develop an initial parts list using our signature process. This list is online, shared and dynamically updated by you and us.
You will have access to our digital fit tools, so that your bike fits as it should.
We then broadcast and record the building of your bike, all while you watch live and ask as many questions as you'd like.. As with each step along the way, the build session is 100% interactive and controlled by you.
How it Works
1. The first thing to do is book a free appointment online (Select "Online Collaborative Build Initial Meeting")
2. Once you book, we will reach out to you via email and confirm that you are set up to use Google Hangouts. Google Hangouts allows for an instant video connection. Google Hangouts is available across all Droid, Windows and Apple devices. It is an unbelievable way to make our initial connection. Learn more about Google Hangouts here.
3. After our first online face-to-face, we begin work on developing your online parts list. Here are some examples:
4. In addition, we also get you set up with our Digital Fit Process. This will allow us to project you as a rider onto the frames and components that are under consideration. Here are some examples of our Online Bike Fit Process (in-progress)
5. Parts are confirmed through our interactive process; final payments made.
6. We agree on a build date, and then broadcast/record the entire session. You are able to watch live and/or keep the recording. Watching live allows you to reach out and interact with our mechanics in real time with questions or comments.
Live Build Example 1 (coming soon)
7. Bike is shipped to you with the tools and instructions you need to get riding imemdiately