Women's Adventure Cycling Club
Everyone is welcome to be a part of this group, but please respect this space as a place for for women, female, and gender non-conforming cyclists interested in adventure cycling around NYC. What do we mean by adventure cycling? All sorts of stuff - this group is born out of 718 Cyclery in Brooklyn and our aim is to connect folks who are interested in riding together in the woods, on trails, on gravel, off the beaten path, etc... Or think they might be!
Women's Adventure Cycling Club Overnight - October 22 / 23
We are headed out on our second overnight trip, up to Samuel Pryor ("The Gunks") campground. We will be departing Grand Central Station via the Metro North on Saturday Morning, October 22. Meet at Grand Central Station and will take the train to New Hamburg. Once on the ground, it is about a 30 mile ride to the campground along some beautiful pavement roads. On Sunday morning, we leave the campsite and will head back to Poughkeepsie (approximately 16 miles) where we will catch the train back to New York City.
- 7/30/`16 Women's Adventure Cycling Club Clinic: Gear and Bike Set-up
- 8/11/16 Gear Clinic
- Overnight Trip 8/27 - 8/28/16
Sign up for Group Notification
Summer 2016 Schedule
- June 29: Mechanics Class: Basic Maintenance, Bike Demystification, and Flat Fixing Held on the last Wednesday of every month. Get to know a little more about your machine in this hands-on introductory workshop, and walk away feeling more self-sufficient. This class will cover routine bike maintenance, the tools you should never leave home without, and how to fix a flat, with plenty of time to ask questions. 7pm at 718 Cyclery
- July 24: Women's Off-Road Festival: Pretty Damned Fast and 718 Cyclery present the 1st Annual Women's Off-Road Festival. The goal of this event is to welcome new riders into the world of offroad cycling through a free coached clinic and skills drills taught by female coaches, as well as provide a place for intermediate and advanced riders to have a blast on the trails, mentor new riders, and show off their skills. (TIME?) Cunningham Park, Queens
- July-27: Mechanics Class, Touring Edition: A special touring-focused edition of our regular maintenance class, learn how to prepare yourself for what can happen to your bike while you're out on an adventure. 7pm at 718 Cyclery
- July 30: Touring Clinic: This day is all about testing and simulation! Meet up with us for an informal clinic on bike touring and bike packing where we’ll discuss what to pack and take some time to get a feel for what it's like to be fully loaded on a bike before planning a trip of your own! Come prepared to share what your experience and goals are for bike touring and/or bike packing. After some discussion, we will get some practice fully loaded and then find a spot to set up camp and cook a lunch. Our goals of the day are to:
- Provide and share tips and ideas for essential items to pack and how to pack it
- Make everyone comfortable loading up with different amounts of weight on your bike
- Provide and share tips for bike touring/packing nutrition over lunch
- Answer questions/share ideas
Come fully loaded (or as loaded as you want!) and bring something to make for lunch (nothing fancy – think of what is feasible for the real deal when you’re out in the woods or on the road). We will meet at Garfield Place and Prospect Park West at 10:30. The event should take about 2-3 hours.
- August 10: Wilderness and Touring Clinic: Experienced members of the Women's Adventure Cycling community will talk you through how to plan and pack for a tour or bike-packing trip, including bikes, gear, hygeine, and wilderness survival. 7pm at 718 Cyclery
- August 26-28: Weekend Trip (TBD)
- August 31: Mechanics Class: Basic Maintenance, Bike Demystification, and Flat Fixing Held on the last Wednesday of every month. Get to know a little more about your machine in this hands-on introductory workshop, and walk away feeling more self-sufficient. This class will cover routine bike maintenance, the tools you should never leave home without, and how to fix a flat, with plenty of time to ask questions. 7pm at 718 Cyclery